600 Holly Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC
What do Moravians believe?
"Christ, and Him crucified, remain our confession of faith." Moravians are an early Protestant church. We believe in the saving work of Christ’s crucifixion on the cross. In accepting other creeds of the Christian Church (such as the Apostles' Creed, Nicene Creed, the Augsburg Confession) and in its practice, the Moravian Church has always stood by its motto: "In essentials, unity; in nonessentials, liberty; and in all things, love."
Moravians recognize the example of Christ's life and proclaim that Jesus Christ is Lord. Living the Christian life depends not only on our own effort but also upon God our Father, who in Jesus Christ accepts us as heirs of God and strengthens and sustains us. In baptism we are united with Christ in his death and resurrection, so we have died to sin and should walk in newness of life. We realize that our Christian faith must continually be nourished if it is to remain living and vital. Therefore, we desire to grow in our Christian lives through family devotions, personal prayer and study, and the opportunities for spiritual development offered by the Church.
We deem it a sacred responsibility and genuine opportunity to be faithful stewards of all God has entrusted to us: our time, our talents, and our financial resources. We view all of life as a sacred trust to be used wisely.
Realizing that God has called us from many and varied backgrounds, we recognize the possibility of disagreements or differences. Often these differences enrich the Church, but sometimes they divide. We consider it to be our responsibility to demonstrate within the congregational life the unity and togetherness created by God who made us one. How well we accomplish this will be a witness to our community as to the validity of our faith.
The essence of our faith is found in the Ground of the Unity, the doctrinal statement of the Worldwide Moravian Church. This statement is affirmed by Moravian Christians throughout the world.
To help us put our faith into practice into daily life, Moravians follow the Moravian Covenant for Christian Living, a document which traces its roots to the early Moravian community of Herrnhut, Germany.
In This Section
News & Events
- NEW! Calvary Weekly News: April 20-30, 2017
- April 2017 "Calvary Mid-Month Update" monthly newsletter. Other Calvary publications are shown in "Downloads and Links."
- CALVARY LIVESTREAMING Internet Address (available 15 minutes prior to service): http://custlogin.audiovideoweb.com/lnks/play/8c3flslive2171
- April 24, 2017, Joint Board, 6:30 pm. followed by Elders and Trustees meetings
- April 25, 2017, Memorial Service for Harry Spencer "Sonny" Davis, Jr., 7:00 pm; visitation 5:00 pm to 6:45 pm (Fellowship Hall)
- April 26, 2017, May 2017 "Calvary Connection" newsletter Assembly Team (2nd floor foyer)
- April 26, 2017, Chancel Choir, 7:00 pm
- April 30, 2017, Third Sunday of Easter, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- May 1, 2017, Music and Worship Committee, 6:30 pm (Burke)
- May 3, 2017, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- May 7, 2017, Fourth Sunday of Easter, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- May 8, 2017, Missions Committee, 6:00 pm (Burke)
- May 9, 2017, Circle #3, 7:00 pm (residence of Jan Bullins)
- May 10, 2017, Calvary Moravian Friends Planning, 10:15 am (Burke)
- May 10, 2017, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- May 11, 2017, Christian Education Committee, 6:30 pm (Burke)
- May 14, 2017, Fifth Sunday of Easter, Mother's Day, Moravian Music Sunday and observance of Calvary's 124th Anniversary, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Holy Communion, 11:00 am
- May 16, 2017, Petersbrook RCC, 7:00 pm (location TBD)
- May 17, 2017, June 2017 "Calvary Connection" newsletter closing date/time, 4:30 pm
- May 17, 2017, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- May 21, 2017, Sixth Sunday of Easter, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- May 23, 2017, Stephen Ministers, 6:00 pm (Burke)
- May 24, 2017, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- May 26-29, 2017, Memorial Day Weekend (church office closed May 29)
- May 28, 2017, Ascension Sunday, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- May 29, 2017, Memorial Day/Provincial Holiday (church office closed all day)
- June 4, 2017, Day of Pentecost and Graduate Recognition Sunday, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Holy Communion, 11:00 am
- June 11, 2017, Trinity Sunday, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- June 18, 2017, Second Sunday after Pentecost and Father's Day, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worhip, 11:00 am
- June 25, 2017, Third Sunday after Pentecost, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worhip, 11:00 am
- Calvary Congregation Watchword for 2017 (drawn on January 1): [Jesus Christ spoke to his disciples:] "I am with you always, to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:20)
- Information on Planned Giving to Calvary: Kingdom Building Gifts
- Calvary's Communications: View here a summary of Calvary's print and online communications.