600 Holly Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC
Missions & Outreach
“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20
Sharing the good news of Jesus Christ has been an integral part of the Moravian Church particularly since the Church was renewed in 1727. In fact, the first Moravian missionaries went to live among the slaves on the Island of St. Thomas in order to share the gospel. This sense of mission is what brought the Moravians to the American colonies beginning in 1735 with the mission to Native Americans in Savannah,Georgia. Inspired by the Biblical witness and our own Moravian missionary zeal, Calvary carries out this mission emphasis by supporting outreach work both at home and abroad.
Currently, Calvary works with our sister congregation, Kigoto Moravian Church in Mwanza, Tanzania, to offer them support for the work of ministry in a Third World context.
Our church also shares God’s love locally. We are involved in the Forsyth County Jail and Prison Ministry, Crisis Control and the Sunnyside Ministry of the Moravian Church. Calvary is also committed to serving the poor and homeless in our downtown community through our support and participation in the overflow homeless shelter during the winter months. We also strive to love and support those in our own congregation through ministries such as Stephen Ministry and the Flower distribution program.
In This Section
News & Events
- NEW! Calvary Weekly News: April 20-30, 2017
- April 2017 "Calvary Mid-Month Update" monthly newsletter. Other Calvary publications are shown in "Downloads and Links."
- CALVARY LIVESTREAMING Internet Address (available 15 minutes prior to service): http://custlogin.audiovideoweb.com/lnks/play/8c3flslive2171
- April 24, 2017, Joint Board, 6:30 pm. followed by Elders and Trustees meetings
- April 25, 2017, Memorial Service for Harry Spencer "Sonny" Davis, Jr., 7:00 pm; visitation 5:00 pm to 6:45 pm (Fellowship Hall)
- April 26, 2017, May 2017 "Calvary Connection" newsletter Assembly Team (2nd floor foyer)
- April 26, 2017, Chancel Choir, 7:00 pm
- April 30, 2017, Third Sunday of Easter, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- May 1, 2017, Music and Worship Committee, 6:30 pm (Burke)
- May 3, 2017, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- May 7, 2017, Fourth Sunday of Easter, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- May 8, 2017, Missions Committee, 6:00 pm (Burke)
- May 9, 2017, Circle #3, 7:00 pm (residence of Jan Bullins)
- May 10, 2017, Calvary Moravian Friends Planning, 10:15 am (Burke)
- May 10, 2017, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- May 11, 2017, Christian Education Committee, 6:30 pm (Burke)
- May 14, 2017, Fifth Sunday of Easter, Mother's Day, Moravian Music Sunday and observance of Calvary's 124th Anniversary, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Holy Communion, 11:00 am
- May 16, 2017, Petersbrook RCC, 7:00 pm (location TBD)
- May 17, 2017, June 2017 "Calvary Connection" newsletter closing date/time, 4:30 pm
- May 17, 2017, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- May 21, 2017, Sixth Sunday of Easter, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- May 23, 2017, Stephen Ministers, 6:00 pm (Burke)
- May 24, 2017, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- May 26-29, 2017, Memorial Day Weekend (church office closed May 29)
- May 28, 2017, Ascension Sunday, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- May 29, 2017, Memorial Day/Provincial Holiday (church office closed all day)
- June 4, 2017, Day of Pentecost and Graduate Recognition Sunday, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Holy Communion, 11:00 am
- June 11, 2017, Trinity Sunday, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- June 18, 2017, Second Sunday after Pentecost and Father's Day, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worhip, 11:00 am
- June 25, 2017, Third Sunday after Pentecost, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worhip, 11:00 am
- Calvary Congregation Watchword for 2017 (drawn on January 1): [Jesus Christ spoke to his disciples:] "I am with you always, to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:20)
- Information on Planned Giving to Calvary: Kingdom Building Gifts
- Calvary's Communications: View here a summary of Calvary's print and online communications.