600 Holly Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC
Holy Week & Good Friday
Nightly Holy Week Services
Holy Week is the time from Palm Sunday through Good Friday. The Moravian Church has a tradition of nightly reading services during this most sacred week. The readings are a compilation of the four Gospel accounts of the last week of Christ's life. Reading services are interspersed with the singing of selected hymn stanzas which form the congregation's response to the gospel story. These services are cherished by Moravians as a time to draw closer to God in preparation for Easter. On Maundy Thursday the congregtion celebrates Christ's institution of the Lord's Supper as we participate in the Holy Communion.
Holy Week services are held nightly at 7:00 pm, Palm Sunday through Good Friday.
Good Friday Crucifixion Service
This somber service recognizes the reconciling act of Christ’s crucifixion whereby He allowed us to receive forgiveness for our sins. The Good Friday afternoon readings include the account of the trial, sufferings and death of Christ. The service concludes with the tolling of Calvary's bell 33 times commemorating the 33 years of Christ's life. There is no benediction or organ postlude at this service. Instead, the congregation departs in silence to comtemplate the meaning of Christ's sacrificial death.
The Crucifixion Service is held each Good Friday at 2:15 pm.
Good Friday Lovefeast
Having honored the saving work achieved by Christ’s sacrifice we celebrate that evening with a lovefeast. The Good Friday Lovefeast includes the gospel accounts of Christ's burial. The congregation departs the service in silence in anticipation of the good news of resurrection on Easter Day.
The Good Friday Lovefeast is held each Good Friday at 7:00 pm.
In This Section
News & Events
- NEW! Calvary Weekly News: April 20-30, 2017
- April 2017 "Calvary Mid-Month Update" monthly newsletter. Other Calvary publications are shown in "Downloads and Links."
- CALVARY LIVESTREAMING Internet Address (available 15 minutes prior to service): http://custlogin.audiovideoweb.com/lnks/play/8c3flslive2171
- April 24, 2017, Joint Board, 6:30 pm. followed by Elders and Trustees meetings
- April 25, 2017, Memorial Service for Harry Spencer "Sonny" Davis, Jr., 7:00 pm; visitation 5:00 pm to 6:45 pm (Fellowship Hall)
- April 26, 2017, May 2017 "Calvary Connection" newsletter Assembly Team (2nd floor foyer)
- April 26, 2017, Chancel Choir, 7:00 pm
- April 30, 2017, Third Sunday of Easter, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- May 1, 2017, Music and Worship Committee, 6:30 pm (Burke)
- May 3, 2017, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- May 7, 2017, Fourth Sunday of Easter, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- May 8, 2017, Missions Committee, 6:00 pm (Burke)
- May 9, 2017, Circle #3, 7:00 pm (residence of Jan Bullins)
- May 10, 2017, Calvary Moravian Friends Planning, 10:15 am (Burke)
- May 10, 2017, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- May 11, 2017, Christian Education Committee, 6:30 pm (Burke)
- May 14, 2017, Fifth Sunday of Easter, Mother's Day, Moravian Music Sunday and observance of Calvary's 124th Anniversary, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Holy Communion, 11:00 am
- May 16, 2017, Petersbrook RCC, 7:00 pm (location TBD)
- May 17, 2017, June 2017 "Calvary Connection" newsletter closing date/time, 4:30 pm
- May 17, 2017, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- May 21, 2017, Sixth Sunday of Easter, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- May 23, 2017, Stephen Ministers, 6:00 pm (Burke)
- May 24, 2017, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- May 26-29, 2017, Memorial Day Weekend (church office closed May 29)
- May 28, 2017, Ascension Sunday, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- May 29, 2017, Memorial Day/Provincial Holiday (church office closed all day)
- June 4, 2017, Day of Pentecost and Graduate Recognition Sunday, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Holy Communion, 11:00 am
- June 11, 2017, Trinity Sunday, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- June 18, 2017, Second Sunday after Pentecost and Father's Day, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worhip, 11:00 am
- June 25, 2017, Third Sunday after Pentecost, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worhip, 11:00 am
- Calvary Congregation Watchword for 2017 (drawn on January 1): [Jesus Christ spoke to his disciples:] "I am with you always, to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:20)
- Information on Planned Giving to Calvary: Kingdom Building Gifts
- Calvary's Communications: View here a summary of Calvary's print and online communications.