600 Holly Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC
Feasting on the Word
A New, Revised Common Lectionary Based Curriculum
This year, Calvary is very excited to be using a newly published curriculum for a (nearly) Church-Wide study experience. Lectionary based curriculums are designed to unify the teachings and preachings of a church. It is produced to follow the three year cycle of Biblical texts that are read and expounded upon within the worship service. So, in essence, what we learn in Sunday School directly correlates to the hour of worship that immediately follows. From newborns through older adults, we study the same texts and same stories on appropriate age levels. This concept unifies us as a Church family and allows us to discuss and live our worship experience throughout the week. Anyone is welcome, anytime!
Sunday School for Adults
Sunday School is held from 9:45-10:45 a.m. each Sunday and includes opportunties for Christian Education for all ages. The following classes are offered for adults:
- Christian Adult Class (Attendees include Adults 18-35)
- New Life Class (Attendees include Inter-generational Adult Men &Women)
- Moses Class (Attendees include Senior Adult Men and Women)
Christian Fellowship (Attendees include Senior Adult Men & Women)
Note - This class follows a quarterly Sunday School Curriculum entitled : The Present Word, focusing on a broad topic or values in our Christian walk, and dissecting these teachings each week.
Sunday School for Children
- Newbies (infant – 2yrs)
- Tiny Tots (2ys-4yrs)
KinderKids & K.L.I.C.K. - Kids Learning In Christs' Kingdom (K-2nd grade & 3rd-4th)
Note – these two classes have separate, age appropriate lessons, and then often combine for crafts or activities. There are always two teachers in the classroom.
- T.A.G. - Teens And God (5th-8th grades)
- O.R.E.O.S. - Our Relationships Eternally Ongoing (9th- 12th grades)
Beginning November 6th, from 9:45-10am each Sunday morning, our children and youth, from nursery to 12th grade will meet in the children's chapel on the 3rd floor for 15 minutes of prayer, singing, and discussions on different musical styles. We will focus on Moravian standards and use that time to not only learn “Morning Star”, “Hosanna”, and our other favorites, but we will discuss the meaning and ideas behind the texts themselves. We will also explore other styles of Christian music that are popular with our youth today.
WoW! - Worship Our Way!
Children age 4 through kindergarten are invited to participate in their own creative worship service each week. The children begin in the sanctuary with their family, experiencing the start of our Sunday service. They hear the opening announcements, hymn, and weekly liturgy. The children leave with the WoW leader during the final hymn of the liturgy.
The curriculum used is a combined concept, using elements of The Story, a chronological approach to the Bible, as well as crafts, stories, and plays. The children play, interact, and worship with each other, creating a strong, age appropriate, foundation of Biblical learning and love of God. This style makes it an easy transition to our regular worship service once they are ready join their parents and family.
In This Section
News & Events
- NEW! Calvary Weekly News: April 20-30, 2017
- April 2017 "Calvary Mid-Month Update" monthly newsletter. Other Calvary publications are shown in "Downloads and Links."
- CALVARY LIVESTREAMING Internet Address (available 15 minutes prior to service): http://custlogin.audiovideoweb.com/lnks/play/8c3flslive2171
- April 24, 2017, Joint Board, 6:30 pm. followed by Elders and Trustees meetings
- April 25, 2017, Memorial Service for Harry Spencer "Sonny" Davis, Jr., 7:00 pm; visitation 5:00 pm to 6:45 pm (Fellowship Hall)
- April 26, 2017, May 2017 "Calvary Connection" newsletter Assembly Team (2nd floor foyer)
- April 26, 2017, Chancel Choir, 7:00 pm
- April 30, 2017, Third Sunday of Easter, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- May 1, 2017, Music and Worship Committee, 6:30 pm (Burke)
- May 3, 2017, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- May 7, 2017, Fourth Sunday of Easter, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- May 8, 2017, Missions Committee, 6:00 pm (Burke)
- May 9, 2017, Circle #3, 7:00 pm (residence of Jan Bullins)
- May 10, 2017, Calvary Moravian Friends Planning, 10:15 am (Burke)
- May 10, 2017, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- May 11, 2017, Christian Education Committee, 6:30 pm (Burke)
- May 14, 2017, Fifth Sunday of Easter, Mother's Day, Moravian Music Sunday and observance of Calvary's 124th Anniversary, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Holy Communion, 11:00 am
- May 16, 2017, Petersbrook RCC, 7:00 pm (location TBD)
- May 17, 2017, June 2017 "Calvary Connection" newsletter closing date/time, 4:30 pm
- May 17, 2017, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- May 21, 2017, Sixth Sunday of Easter, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- May 23, 2017, Stephen Ministers, 6:00 pm (Burke)
- May 24, 2017, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- May 26-29, 2017, Memorial Day Weekend (church office closed May 29)
- May 28, 2017, Ascension Sunday, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- May 29, 2017, Memorial Day/Provincial Holiday (church office closed all day)
- June 4, 2017, Day of Pentecost and Graduate Recognition Sunday, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Holy Communion, 11:00 am
- June 11, 2017, Trinity Sunday, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- June 18, 2017, Second Sunday after Pentecost and Father's Day, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worhip, 11:00 am
- June 25, 2017, Third Sunday after Pentecost, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worhip, 11:00 am
- Calvary Congregation Watchword for 2017 (drawn on January 1): [Jesus Christ spoke to his disciples:] "I am with you always, to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:20)
- Information on Planned Giving to Calvary: Kingdom Building Gifts
- Calvary's Communications: View here a summary of Calvary's print and online communications.