Pastorate of John W. Fulton
John W. Fulton had served pastorates at Friedburg and Enterprise, then from 1940 to 1950 was general secretary of the Board of Christian Education for the Province. He had also edited the Wachovia Moravian (published by the Southern Province until a joint North American Moravian was established in cooperation with the Northern Province) and had served as Chairman of the Interprovincial Board of Christian Education. Married to the former Arnice Richardson Topp, the couple had four children. Brother Fulton’s mother, Mrs. N.F. Fulton, was then at 99 the oldest member of our congregation. He took over on July 1, 1950 and was installed by Bishop J. Kenneth Pfohl on July 9.During this pastorate the Church parlor was made available to Alcoholics Anonymous for its meetings, new sound equipment was installed to permit those in the hall, kitchen and nursery to hear the services, and a power lift was added to the dumbwaiter from the kitchen to the lovefeast serving area.
In early 1953, Boy Scout Troop No. 7 was reorganized. It had been the first scout troop in Winston, but had become dormant as the members of Calvary living in the neighborhood had declined over the years.
In 1953 Calvary had 833 communicant members and a total membership (including baptized children) of 1,015. Sunday School enrollment was 398. This same year a stained glass window depicting Hoffmann’s “Christ in the Temple” was ordered for the Junior Department and Mrs. Garnet Grubbs organized a Brownie troop.
These years were especially notable for the excellence of Calvary’s music program. On Palm Sunday in 1954 Calvary was able to present a program on WTOB-TV with band, choir and an address by Brother Fulton. Mrs. Clifford Bair was then our organist, and is still remembered for the “smoothness with which she handled the service” according to the Church diary. On September 9 she was replaced as organist by Tim Cahill, a son of the congregation. A week later Paul Snyder became Minister of Music. Brother Snyder had received a Bachelor of Music and M.A. from Westminster Choir College and had ambitious plans of organizing 6 choirs for all ages from pre-school to adult and also producing a major large religious musical performance each year. He met with remarkable success, the high point of his ministry perhaps being the presentation of a 25 minute program of Moravian Christmas music over the Columbia Broadcasting System. Meanwhile, our own Austin Burke was director of the Salem Band and the Easter band, largest regularly organized wind ensemble in the world.
Other sidelights of our congregation in 1955 and 1956 were that Calvary had two members at Moravian Seminary: Fred P. Hege and William McElveen. Brother Hege on graduation became Assistant Pastor at Home Church. Brother McElveen graduated later because of student service at our St. Croix mission, and followed Hege at Home Church.
Tom Watts received his God and Country Award at Calvary. Betty Conrad won the City-wide typing prize. Ethel Cranfill prepared an exceptional scrapbook for the Women’s Auxiliary illustrated by her own water colors. Charles E. Scott was made Venerable Master of the Winston-Salem Lodge of Perfection. Richard Henderson became Director of Choirs at New Philadelphia Church, Mr. and Mrs. W.E. Conrad celebrated their 50th Wedding Anniversary, Bruce Lewis became Master of Salem Lodge #289 of the Masonic Order, and Frank Jones returned from a European Tour attired in beret and cape.
After a fleeting 6 years, however, Brother Fulton left our pulpit on July 1, 1956 having been called to assume the Rondthaler chair of Practical Theology at Moravian Seminary. He was succeeded by the Reverend John S. Goserud.
A special matter of pride for our congregation however occurred when our beloved Dr. Schwarze was consecrated a Bishop of the Unity on December 30, 1956, having been elected by Synod on November 14.