Jack Barnes (1) had graduated from Reynolds High School in Winston-Salem in 1931, gone to Moravian College and Seminary graduating with his Bachelor of Divinity Degree in 1939. He was ordained September 17 that same year and had served his entire career in the Southern Province. His pastorates had included Oak Grove, Providence and Fulp for 6 years, King and Mizpah for 6 years, Greensboro for 5 years, and Christ for 9 years before coming to Calvary.
He was married to the former Helen Louise Diehl, by whom he had two daughters. Mrs. Robert H. Mehlhouse and Mrs. E.G. Barker. His first wife died on November 22, 1970 and he subsequently married Mrs. Ruth Nash who is still a member of our congregation. He was handicapped as a boy by a fall which resulted in one badly disabled leg and a permanent severe limp. He threw himself into civic as well as church life in the community, being a Lion, serving as Chaplain of the Greensboro Fire Department, Chaplain of the Winston-Salem Police Department (where he was commissioned as a Major,) as a Trustee of Moravian College, and of Salem Academy and College, and also as a member of the Board of Provincial Elders.
Our members were recognized in a number of ways: The April 17, 1966 Winston-Salem Journal featured three generations of tinsmiths, all members of the Blum family, and all members of Calvary. They were P.W. Blum, P.W. Blum, Jr. P.W. Blum, III, Ralph Blum, Allie Blum and Bill Seippel (son of Janet Blum Seippel). That same year William H. Boyce, M.D., received the Sertoma “Service to Mankind Award” and Edmund W. Johnson received the De Molay Order of the Degree of Chevalier. In 1966 the Calvary Day Care center had an enrollment of 47. In 1967 saw Calvary members Ellen Clodfelter (daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.L. Clodfelter) being chosen “Girl of the Year” in the Tri-Gray-Y Programe and Brian Peterson receiving a football grant-in-aid to Davidson College.
Meanwhile our former missionary pastor, Bishop Kenneth G. Hamilton completed Volume 11 of the Records Of The Moravians In North Carolina with the assistance of a grant by the Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation. This volume covered the years 1851–1879, translating from German the period between 1851 and 1856, at which point virtually all church bodies began using the English language. (2)
1968 was Calvary’s 75th Anniversary. During this year a short church history was prepared and distributed, and other events took place in recognition of the anniversary, but by this time the keeping of a Church Diary had ceased and the records are unfortunately scanty. There is notice, however, of the fact that the crystal chalice presented to the North American Moravians by the Czech Moravians in commemoration of the 500th Anniversary of the Unitas Fratrum (1457–1957) was used for the first time in the South at our Holy Communion on August 11, 1968. In this Anniversary Year, the Reverend Raymond T. Troutman was called to Calvary as Associate Pastor, having most recently served as Pastor of the Gnadenhutten, Ohio, congregation. With the addition of Ray Troutman, our church staff this year included J. Calvin Barnes, Pastor; Raymond T. Troutman, Associate Pastor; Louise Wommock, Church Secretary; Douglas Kimel, Choir Director; and Catherine Walker, Organist.
Calvary became the first local integrated Moravian congregation since the 1830s when Dr. George H. Hall joined us in 1969. A former Dean at Winston-Salem State University and former Pastor of our St. Philips congregation, he was a native of Bluefields, Nicaragua.
The 1970s saw a fairly stable congregation, with a communicant membership averaging slightly less than 800. Expansion of our capital plant had provided sufficient christian education space and the sanctuary itself was filled only for Christmas Lovefeasts. The congregation was gradually aging and the neighborhood continued its gradual change from single family residential to parking lots and rooming houses. Only a few houses along Poplar to the South retained their original character.
In 1970 Randy Transou (son of Mr. and Mrs. T.L. Transou) at 17 won the North Carolina High School Golf Title, setting a state record in the tournament. That same year Dr. Albert Griffin won the City Tennis Championship. And on a sad note, on November 22, our pastor’s beloved wife Helen, passed away. Pastor Barnes himself prepared her poignant memoir.
1971 began with heavy snow, causing cancellation of the traditional watchnight services in Salem. Officers of our congregation included D.F. Peterson, Jr., as Chairman of the Board of Trustees and Frank Kane as Vice-Chairman. The Board of Elders was headed by the pastor as chairman, John B. Wall Vice-Chairman, and Thomas A. Peddycord, Jr., Secretary. The big provincial effort this year was the building of the Moravian Home on Indiana Avenue near Bethabara. A series of draconian government rules had required the closing of the Salem Home, and a need was felt for the re-establishment of a nursing and residential facility for our elders. In February an $800,000 capital fund campaign was launched. This $800,000 together with $500,000 already on hand would provide a substantial state-of-the-art facility on the 30 acre Indiana Avenue tract. Calvary Women’s Fellowship on April 24 sponsored a “house tour” to benefit the home.
This was also the year for the Triennial Synod of the Southern Province. The hot issue was whether the Northern and Southern Provinces should be merged. Opposition to the proposal was led by our own Pastor Barnes. The proposal was defeated in Synod on November 4.
Other items of interest to our congregation were the election of D.F. Peterson, Jr. as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Salem Academy and College, and the sad passing of Brother Peter Wilson Blum at 92. Brother Blum had preserved well into this century the ancient art of tinsmithing, and for 50 years had made all the candle molds for Christmas Eve candles. He also crafted coffee pots for our lovefeasts, made the street lights for the Old Salem, Inc. restoration and trained two generations of tinsmiths to succeed him.
Milestones in 1972 included our Women’s Fellowship’s completion of its $3,000 pledge for the Moravian Home on August 22 and Austin Burke’s completion of his 30th year as Director of the Moravian Band, responsible not only for the Easter Sunrise Service Band but also for training new musicians (at the Band Hall at the corner of Church and Bank Streets) and directing the summer band concerts in Salem Square (a tradition going back to 1905). Sam E. Fort, Jr. accepted the baton from Brother Burke on July 26. Finally, our Associate Pastor Ray Troutman accepted a call to Kernersville Moravian Church, leaving us again without an associate. Ray and his family had been very popular with our congregation.
The years of Jack Barnes’ pastorate were happy ones, partly because of his own good humour and high spirits and his decision to retire in 1973 because of his health was a sad one. On June 3, 1973 he was succeeded by the Reverend David R. Burkette.
- The story goes that he was christened “Jack,” with no middle name. When it came time for him to be ordained, Bishop Pfohl felt “Jack” too undignified for a minister’s name and announced, “from now on, you’ll be J. Calvin Barnes.”
- The PEC, curiously, continued to keep its records in German until 1879.