The Reverend Gary T. Marsh was born in Simsbury, Connecticut on February 13, 1952 and was reared in the Roman Catholic Church. During his undergraduate years at Moravian College, however, he was impressed by the Moravian tradition and the services at Central Church (then pastored by our own former pastor Mervin Weidner) and became a Moravian. After receiving his degree in history at Moravian in 1974, he taught elementary school for 5 years in Bethlehem, then entered the Presbyterian School of Christian Education where he received his M.A. in 1981. He thereafter went to Moravian Theological Seminary receiving his Master of Divinity in 1983.
Married to the former Linda K. Hess, the couple have two children, Kevin and Sarah. His early ministry was in Waconia, Minnesota from 1983 through 1986 and then the West Side, Green Bay, Wisconsin congregation from 1986 through 1991 when he received the call to Calvary.
Reverend Marsh since coming to Calvary had focused on the need for improved stewardship in our congregation, our congregation’s role within the downtown section of Winston-Salem, and upon a revitalization of our youth and church school programs. The Stephen Ministry program whereby trained church members minister to other members of the congregation has begun under his leadership, and an informal, less structured “early service” at 8:30 each Sunday morning had been instituted on a trial basis.
1993 was the Centennial of Calvary’s organization—a year long celebration three years in the planning. (1) Richard Henderson headed up the Centennial Committee.
The actual Centennial year began on November 15, 1992 with our 99th Anniversary Lovefeast, beginning our 100th year. At this Lovefeast a Centennial hymn composed by our organist Dr. James Boeringer was sung for the first time, and early Moravian music edited by Dr. Boeringer performed. In December, mugs bearing the Centennial logo were given as souvenirs to each person attending one of our three Christmas Eve Lovefeasts.
During 1993, as the Centennial celebration continued, all of our then-living former senior pastors returned to the Calvary pulpit, a pictorial directory of current membership was published and a Centennial music book was published.
This Centennial Music Book, publication of which was made possible by Eugenia Shore Dull, was a collection of hymns and anthems either composed by or dedicated to Calvary members, together with a special anthem composed by Margaret Sandresky and commissioned for the Centennial period. The 63-page book is thought to be unique among modern Moravian churches.
The Centennial drew to a close in November. On November 14, the congregation celebrated at the 11:00 a.m. service with special music commissioned for the Centennial, accompanied by a brass ensemble. After church a marble Centennial marker was dedicated and a white oak—symbolic of Calvary’s confidence in its future—was planted. After this the entire congregation moved to the Elk’s Club on Silas Creek Parkway for a delicious homecoming meal and program.
The next Sunday, November 21, a “time capsule” was buried on the front lawn, to be exhumed in the year 2092—yet another example of the congregation’s determination to stay and to serve, on Holly Avenue where we were first established a century ago, on the “Reservation.” (2)
Brother Marsh received a call to East Hills Congregation in Bethlehem on July 31, 1995 and upon his departure, our Assistant Pastor, David Fishler, continued as Assistant Pastor until Brother Lane Sapp was called to our pulpit.
Brother Sapp was formally installed on March 4, 1996 beginning what has become a wonderful happy period for Calvary’s ministry.
- The Centennial Planning Committee began work in late 1990 and was composed of Richard Henderson as Chairman, Marilyn Griffin, Margaret Higgins, Charles Scott and Richard Conrad. The Centennial Committee began working in 1991 and was composed of Richard Henderson as Chairman, Marilyn Griffin Chairman of the time capsule and marker; Earline Pryor Chairman of Calvary Artifacts and Displays; Dr. James Boeringer, Chairman of Special Services; Emily Cheek, Chairman of the Centennial logo design; James Pryor, Chairman of video coverage of Centennial events; John Wall, Chairman of Christmas cards and note card publication; Frank Kane, Chairman of the Centennial church directory; Hamilton C. Horton, Jr., Chairman of Calvary history project; Betty Wall, Chairman of arranging the return of former pastors; Joseph F. Stone and Jack Trivette, Co-Chairman of Calvary’s homecoming dinner, planting of the Centennial tree and placement of its marker; Denny Fordham, Chairman of the band history, and the Reverend Gary Marsh, Ex Officio.
- Included in the time capsule were copies of the 1906 Offices of Worship, the 1923 Hymnal and Liturgies, and the 1969 Hymnal and Liturgies; the King James, Revised Standard and the New English translations of the Bible, the Passion Week Manual, the current church directory and Annual Report, bulletins for all services during the Centennial year, a Centennial mug, a copy of the greeting cards depicting our stained glass windows, copies of manuscripts of our Centennial music, copies of band tune and chorale books for all parts, including the B.J. Pfohl and the Austin Burke editions, a Centennial christmas tree ornament, a report from Women’s Fellowship, church newsletters for the Centennial year, copies of the 1993 Daily Texts, a letter to the pastor of Calvary Church in the year 2092, a letter to the Chairman of the Bi-Centennial Celebration in the year 2092 and various letters of greetings from our political representatives and church officials plus such other items as various church members desired to include.