600 Holly Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC
Calvary Moravian Church has been serving downtown Winston-Salem since 1889. We began as an outgrowth of the Moravian Church in Salem now known as Home Moravian Church. As Moravians moved to the newly industrialized town of Winston they desired a church in their own neighborhood. Today, with 13 other Moravian Churches in Winston-Salem we form the Salem Congregation. While each church has its own ministry and membership the churches of the Salem Congregation share many things including sponsorship of the Eastern Sunrise Service in Salem, the Watchnight Service on New Year’s Eve and other various ministries. The members of our congregation are buried in God’s Acre in Salem.
Calvary has an active membership comprised of people of all ages and various walks of life. It is our intention to welcome all people to find a place of belonging in our congregation. We have many different programs to nurture our members in their walk of faith. As Moravians, we emphasize faith as a daily walk, giving particular emphasis to service and missions. In recent years we have felt a particular call to support our church’s global mission as well as to minister to the poor and homeless of our own community.
Our worship services are typical of most traditional liturgical churches. We use liturgies, scriptural prayer forms which are responsive in nature, and we sing the traditional hymns of Protestant worship. As Moravians, we observe special customs and practices which have been a part of our heritage, giving emphasis to our unique musical heritage which gives meaningful expression to our faith in Christ. We follow the Church year which includes a lectionary, groups of appointed readings for each worship service. The readings are followed by a sermon usually based on one of the weekly lectionary readings.
In This Section
News & Events
- NEW! Calvary Weekly News: April 20-30, 2017
- April 2017 "Calvary Mid-Month Update" monthly newsletter. Other Calvary publications are shown in "Downloads and Links."
- CALVARY LIVESTREAMING Internet Address (available 15 minutes prior to service): http://custlogin.audiovideoweb.com/lnks/play/8c3flslive2171
- April 24, 2017, Joint Board, 6:30 pm. followed by Elders and Trustees meetings
- April 25, 2017, Memorial Service for Harry Spencer "Sonny" Davis, Jr., 7:00 pm; visitation 5:00 pm to 6:45 pm (Fellowship Hall)
- April 26, 2017, May 2017 "Calvary Connection" newsletter Assembly Team (2nd floor foyer)
- April 26, 2017, Chancel Choir, 7:00 pm
- April 30, 2017, Third Sunday of Easter, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- May 1, 2017, Music and Worship Committee, 6:30 pm (Burke)
- May 3, 2017, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- May 7, 2017, Fourth Sunday of Easter, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- May 8, 2017, Missions Committee, 6:00 pm (Burke)
- May 9, 2017, Circle #3, 7:00 pm (residence of Jan Bullins)
- May 10, 2017, Calvary Moravian Friends Planning, 10:15 am (Burke)
- May 10, 2017, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- May 11, 2017, Christian Education Committee, 6:30 pm (Burke)
- May 14, 2017, Fifth Sunday of Easter, Mother's Day, Moravian Music Sunday and observance of Calvary's 124th Anniversary, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Holy Communion, 11:00 am
- May 16, 2017, Petersbrook RCC, 7:00 pm (location TBD)
- May 17, 2017, June 2017 "Calvary Connection" newsletter closing date/time, 4:30 pm
- May 17, 2017, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- May 21, 2017, Sixth Sunday of Easter, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- May 23, 2017, Stephen Ministers, 6:00 pm (Burke)
- May 24, 2017, Chancel Choir Rehearsal, 7:00 pm
- May 26-29, 2017, Memorial Day Weekend (church office closed May 29)
- May 28, 2017, Ascension Sunday, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- May 29, 2017, Memorial Day/Provincial Holiday (church office closed all day)
- June 4, 2017, Day of Pentecost and Graduate Recognition Sunday, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Holy Communion, 11:00 am
- June 11, 2017, Trinity Sunday, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worship, 11:00 am
- June 18, 2017, Second Sunday after Pentecost and Father's Day, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worhip, 11:00 am
- June 25, 2017, Third Sunday after Pentecost, Sunday School, 9:45 am, Worhip, 11:00 am
- Calvary Congregation Watchword for 2017 (drawn on January 1): [Jesus Christ spoke to his disciples:] "I am with you always, to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:20)
- Information on Planned Giving to Calvary: Kingdom Building Gifts
- Calvary's Communications: View here a summary of Calvary's print and online communications.